Monday, March 2, 2015

Book 7 - Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Wonderful...just...wonderful!

Displaying IMG_20150225_013206.jpg

Where to begin?  Lisa See writes with such descriptive prose to make you feel as though you're part of the story.  This one was a page turner because I kept wanting to know what the next step for Lily was...what was going to happen next on her journey of life.  
I've never been one to read historical works but I'm so glad my colleague recommended and loaned this book to me.  See writes in such a way that prompts even my American self to have great respect for long ago Chinese traditions but to also be grateful those traditions were never enforced upon me.  For example, I absolutely cringed through the explanation of foot binding.  It was so descriptive I honestly held onto my own feet for fear someone would attack me in my home and bind my feet!  I have no idea how generations of women not only dealt with foot binding but were revered for it.  Power on ladies!  You were stronger and braver than I ever could be! 
The story is told in a timeline manner that I was a bit nervous would drag by but it really didn't.  Lily hits the highlights of life, thankfully.  I sympathized with Lily, I rejoiced with her when she was able to come up from her lowly beginnings, I rejoiced with her when her children were born, and my heart broke for when during the struggles of living in the snow covered mountains during the rebellion.  My heart broke for her again when she was an old woman and knew she had lived 40 years with regret.  It was honestly a cautionary tale in some ways.  
I also felt for Snow Flower...her upbringing, her shame, her lost children, her broken body.  She was just trying to make the best out of a bad situation...playing the hand she was dealt.  I wish See would go back and write a part 2 that was from Snow Flower's point of view.  I know she gives voice to Snow Flower's internal thoughts by having her friends at the end voice what really happened, but I feel it could make for an even better story with Snow Flower's thoughts and words in the mix.  
Lily and Snow Flower weren't just 'besties'...it was more than that...deeper than that...maybe even something deeper than sisters.  They cared for one another when no one else did.  My heart aches for Lily that she almost threw it all away over a simple misunderstanding...and yet I know there are people around me who throw away years of friendship over something that when looked back on years later, was incredibly insignificant.  Lily's great enemy this time was her pride.  
I loved this entire book and look forward to reading more from Lisa See.  She may have converted me over to a historical fiction fan!  If you're looking for some Women's Literature...pick up this book!  I hear Shanghai Girls is a good one too...maybe it will be Book 10.      

No comments:

Post a Comment