Friday, March 20, 2015

Book 13 - The Damned by Andrew Pyper

I saved this one for number 13 because it seemed fitting given the American culture and superstition surrounding the number 13...Friday the 13th and all...

I think I might be speechless...don't worry it will pass...



I think...this book broke my brain.  Not in a bad way...but in a...I honestly don't know what to say or think right now.  If this is one of Pyper's books that becomes a movie...do yourself a favor and read the book.  There's NO WAY they'll be able to convey the sheer FUCKED UP nature of Ash on film.  She's a serious psychopathic bitch...both in life and death.  She's not a character you feel for, no sympathy...just NO.  She needed to die but she still finds ways to FUCKING KILL YOU even in death!  Where does Pyper come up with this stuff?!  

Originally, it was a little weird to me...the idea that heaven and hell are either your best day in life or your worst day in life.  Honestly though, the more you read the less far fetched it actually sounds.  Reality is though, we don't have a clue until our number is up.  Danny seriously must have a guardian angel on his side on more than one occasion...and I know on his last occasion, it's Eddie.  

The more I sit here and ponder over it, the more I realize how much I actually liked this book...and specifically how much I liked Danny.  He, you can fully sympathize with.  I hear so often about the bond between twins.  I don't know what I would do if put in Danny's position where your twin who you are supposed to be so connected with actually was psychotic.  Ash is manipulative and a killer by the age of 16; whereas Danny is just trying to not be one of her targets.  The character of Ash will seriously just fuck your world up.  

It may have been a little late in life...and after years of torment by his sister (both her physical self and her spirit)...but Danny finally finds a reason to live.  He finds a reason to finally grow a pair and attempt to get Ash to finally just go away.  To me, yes he fell in love with Willa, but I think Eddie was a bigger inspiration for him.  His love for Eddie and want for Eddie to be his son, I think, were more of a driving force to get rid of Ash than falling in love with Willa ever was.  I love Danny even more for willing to sacrifice himself in order for Willa and Eddie to have their lives back.  I also have to give credit to Willa for not packing up her shit and getting herself and her son the hell out of there.  She stuck with Danny through all of it...his health and his sister.  It takes a strong woman to put up with bitchy in-laws, but it takes a different kind of woman to put up with a dead sister-in-law who is psychotic and haunting you...oh and trying to kill you all.  

If you want a book that will bend your mind...and maybe kind of keep you up at night...read this book.  It was a page turner because I kept wanting to see if Danny was successful.  He's a likable guy and I kept rooting for him because seriously...Ash is crazy.  If you thought your ex-girlfriend was crazy...nuh uh...she ain't got shit on Ash.  They were right when they said she wasn't damned, she was a demon.  Just...Holy. Shit.  Bitch is crazy.  

READ IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment