Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Book 10 - Dark World by Zak Bagans


Whilst I was reading I am Haunted by +Zak Bagans (see Post 7 about Book 6), I was so thoroughly enjoying myself that I ordered Dark World before I ever finished it.  While I feel I am Haunted was more autobiographical, I feel Dark World is more....educational.  NOT IN A BAD WAY!  

I DVR Ghost Adventures...new and old episodes.  I'm pretty sure I've seen them all...now some are on Netflix Watch Instantly...you're welcome for me sharing that with you.  Anyway...one thing that always cramps my style is that they have to cram so much into a one hour episode.  Dark World, though, expounds on some of their most compelling evidence and goes into some of the things that happen that we didn't see.  I LOVE being to able to see behind the scenes.  And honestly, every piece of evidence he spoke about, I can vividly recall the episode...like I've said...seen EVERY.EPISODE.  

I have no desire to go 'ghost hunting' but if I did, this book to me was actually a very good beginner's guide of how to...and in several instances...how NOT to.  It would definitely be a book I'd want in my arsenal.  

Now...when I say educational, I mean Zak explains the various equipment they use, sometimes a bit more in depth than what you may already know from the show.  He also explains the different levels in which demons can basically fuck your world up...I never knew.  He also explains differences in residual hauntings versus intelligent hauntings.  He discusses the different informal classes of EVP's.  You get the picture.  

But, the biggest educational lesson came from the ENTIRE section called SCIENCE!  Oh science...how I love thee!  I was a Chemistry major and a Psych minor in college.  I have my Master's Degree in Forensic Science.  I AM A NERD!  I love science and math.  You say scientific method and my ears perk up so I become a meerkat.  I got to this section and the pages started turning even faster.  I am not a quantum physicist and I never will be...I barely passed general physics.  But I did get an A in P.Chem. which covers a bit of quantum-ness...yes...it's a word to me.  Zak has this way of taking a topic that honestly would be over my head, bringing it down to my level, and then bridging it in some way back to the paranormal but not in a way that feels like he's grasping at straws.  He bridges these connections in a way that left me scratching my head going I think he might be fucking brilliant.  Either that or he's crazy as a bat...maybe both? :)  Either way...I finished the section looking around the room (that was absolutely empty so really I was just talking to myself) going "the man's got a fucking good point."  Seriously...MIND.BLOWN.  If you read nothing else in the book...read the science section.  The nerd in me was gaga for the whole thing.  I'm fully on board for compiling evidence into one location and seeing if paranormal science can't become an area of science as accepted as chemistry.  Thank you, Zak, for blowing my mind.  

Now...do I believe in the paranormal?  I don't know.  The weird thing is, there's one part in here where Zak talks about sometimes people are more accepting of the fact that there are human spirits walking the earth, but they don't accept that there are demons.  For me, I'm the opposite.  I fully and firmly believe in God and angels...the devil and demons...heaven and hell.  Because of that I fully believe their evidence, experiences, and footage of supposed demonic attacks, attachments, and possessions.  I think for me I have a hard time accepting human spirits...even though they have a plethora of evidence supporting it, because it's just heartbreaking for me that they've been left on this plane where they can't move on but they can't go back either.  It's like my belief is, you go before the Throne and God says Welcome or either you're cast into the fires of hell so this whole in between thing throws me off.  It leaves me with questions...many of them Zak himself asks in this book.  I wonder did they decide to stick around? Is it free will?  Is it unfinished business? Is God cool with you choosing to stick around?  Can they go back and forth?  For me it just opens a whole wealth of questions but there aren't any answers until we ourselves expire.  I just don't know...but I'm not going to scoff at those who do believe.      

No comments:

Post a Comment