Monday, September 19, 2016

Book 5 - Curious Minds by Janet Evanovich and Phoef Sutton


So...I'm back...finally.  The last 3 months have been a ridiculous whirlwind...in a good way.  I accepted a new job, quit my old job, started my new job, and moved to a different city all within 3 weeks.  I've been trying to get my feet back under me and I've finally made it out of my 90 day period so I think it's safe to say they're going to keep me.  I couldn't be happier with where I am now.  My professional life was a drag really and I can't keep the smile off my face now when I talk about work.  Legit, best decision I've made in years and I know it was all guided by God.  Anyway, now that the absence has been explained...on to the books!  I've been reading quite a bit but I'm just now getting around to blogging so hopefully there will be about 4 of these in the very near future...

I absolutely love everything by Janet Evanovich and it was incredibly refreshing to see a new series with a new set of characters.  I've been an avid reader of Evanovich for years starting with the Stephanie Plum series but I had to put it down for a bit.  I'm just a little over the fact that she can't make up her mind between the two men.  It was interesting for the first 17 books, but now I'm just frustrated.  Granted I'm only on book 18 and she's up to like book 22 or 23 of the series but still...I'm tired of that game.  Alas, I digress.

Curious Minds revolves around Riley Moon, a junior analyst at a prestigious bank that makes Goldman Sachs look puny, and she has been asked to contact one mysterious recluse, Emerson Knight, because he has not responded to the bank even though he recently inherited millions of dollars from his father's passing.  Riley grew up in Texas, the youngest of 5 children, she the only girl.  She's the daughter of the former sheriff and she left her small world in Texas to get her MBA and Law Degree from Harvard followed by accepting the junior analyst position at the bank of Blane-Grunwald.  She's now visiting Emerson Knight at his home also dubbed as Mysterioso Manor.  Emerson is an eccentric millionaire who is that awkward sort of intelligent, but he's also incredibly attractive...as all book men are.  Emerson inherited his father's estate and all of the money that goes along with that including a large sum of gold bars...and now he wants to see it.  He wants to visually see his own gold, and hey...who could fault him for that.  Riley tries to reassure Emerson that everything is fine...his gold is fine...everything is safe and secure; but Emerson wants to see it for himself.  It doesn't help that his usual bank contact, and Riley's mentor/boss, has been missing for a month.  Emerson tells Riley they're going to the bank to see the head honcho, Werner Grunwald, so he can see his gold.  And thus begins our journey into hijinks that Evanovich is known for.

During the meeting at the bank with Werner, Emerson eventually informs him he'll help look for his brother.  It's also worth noting that 2 international bankers for Blane-Grunwald have apparently committed suicide and another banker in the New York office was recently found dead.  Werner has Riley go along with Emerson so he can basically use her as a spy...along the way though, Riley changes sides...if she ever really on the side of the Grunwald's to begin with.  Through a series of hilarious hijinks and murder attempts...not to mention felonies, Emerson and Riley uncover a huge conspiracy to switch out the gold in the Federal Reserve with gold plated tungsten.  The thieves want to melt it down and make their own currency with it *eye roll*.  I don't want to ruin anything but when all is said and done, they find the thieves, out them to the world, and Emerson at last gets to see his gold.  He also hires Riley on and thus begins the real question of will they or won't they?  They of course have chemistry.  Emerson, being so intelligent, is not very good with people because he's so honest.  He misses the social cues that some things may be inappropriate to say.  Riley finds him both annoying and charming, and he finds her to be intelligent and amusing.  They balance each other out so I look forward to where Evanovich will take them.  I also look forward to the next set of hijinks she puts these two through.

I read this book over the course of 2 days with actually getting a few hours of sleep in between so for me that's about a day.  I always find I can fly through Evanovich's books and this one was no exception.  Her characters were refreshing and it was a different change of pace from the Stephanie Plum scene that I thoroughly enjoyed.  If you're looking for a light hearted, quick paced, page turner that will make you kind of chuckle to yourself, you can't go wrong with Curious Minds...plus it's the first one in a new series so you'll know you're starting at the beginning.

5 Stars for Evanovich...but that's nothing new.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment